Observations from the Sun-Sentinel (1), (2):
"- Fullback Reagan Mauia fractured the navicular bone in the wrist of his left hand and is expected to have surgery Monday. The Hawaii product, selected in the sixth round of April's draft, injured the hand during Thursday night's 11-10 exhibition victory over the Chiefs. While the 6-foot, 275-pound fullback practiced Saturday with a heavily padded cast and might continue to play with the injury, coach Cam Cameron said Mauia won't return to the field until the swelling goes down. Cameron also said Mauia will wear a cast for the next four to six weeks.Observations from the Palm Beach Post (1), (2):
- WR Marty Booker had his most productive practice in a week, making nice moves to gain extra yardage after catches.
- For a couple of snaps during a 9-on-9 drill the offense featured two tailbacks, with Ronnie Brown and Jesse Chatman sharing the backfield. Chatman either lined up behind Brown or next to him.
- WR P.K. Sam, who injured his left leg during Tuesday's practice and sat out Thursday's game, returned to the practice Saturday. T Joe Toledo has been without the soft cast that protected his broken right foot for a week, but said he's only doing light jogging. LB Kelvin Smith continues to be held out of practice because of an ankle sprain.
- I'm watching Hakim return punts as I type and he just doesn't look like he's got that afterburner speed that once made him a standout returner in the NFL.
- [Abraham] Wright's presently working with the first team on pass rushing downs, subbing in for Donnie Spragan."
"- Quarterback Trent Green's inconsistency, especially on downfield throws, has become routine. On Saturday, Green was behind his receivers on some passes and low on some others.
- New TE Courtney Anderson could become a real weapon for the Dolphins. Anderson has bounced back after some early drops in training camp with some of the best catches in the past week.
- WR David Sutton generated a lot of buzz during June's mini-camp and the first week of training camp with his leaping catches and fearlessness. Nagging injuries have slowed the 6-6, 222-pound undrafted free agent. Battling a bruised tailbone and hip, and now a sore ankle, Sutton had another quiet practice on Saturday. He hasn't caught a pass in two exhibition games.
- LB Robert McCune, the backup middle linebacker, is the fiery leader of the second-team defense and an impact player on special teams. McCune was around the ball all day Saturday, two days after he made two special teams stops in Kansas City.
- CB Travis Daniels intercepted several passes in the opening week of training camp but hasn't come up with one in a while.
- LB Joey Porter is doing a couple of low-key agility drills - a good sign less than two weeks removed from arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. That’s it for him.
- First team remains the same: LT Vernon Carey, LG Chris Liwienski, C Samson Satele, RG Rex Hadnot, RT Anthony Alabi. Rookie G Drew Mormino remains with the second team.
- Chatman, once again, is having a much better practice than Brown."