Monday, March 16, 2009

Reader Mailbag: Trading Satele?

Here's an email I got in response to my article on Jake Grove:

Would they try and trade Satele for a 2nd round pick then try to draft a center? It seems that the front office just wants to get rid of those players that they didn't pick themselves.

While I'm certain the front office would listen to any offers coming from other teams for Samson Satele, I don't get the sense that they are actively trying to trade him at this point. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't start actively shopping him in the future, perhaps when the Draft arrives.

I can't see them recouping the second-round pick they originally invested in him if they do ever trade him. Jake Grove's contract is a clear sign that the team doesn't value Satele highly, so no team will likely give up a first day draft pick for him. I'd say Miami would be lucky to get a fourth-round pick in return for him.

As far as drafting a center, I'd say that's likely. I don't anticipate them using a first day pick on one, but that position is a definite possibility in the later rounds.

No comments: