Well, now that free agency has officially begun, the news is pouring in fast. Let's look at the latest news concerning the Dolphins. Keep checking back for new updates.
- Starting LG Jeno James was released. Damion McIntosh and Kendyl Jacox were allowed to become free agents.
- The team declined to tender DT Kevin Vickerson a contract as an exclusive rights free agent.
- QB Shane Matthews, who signed with the team last year after Daunte Culpepper was placed on IR, has retired.
- The official team site has reported that P Donnie Jones was tendered at his original draft status, which was as a 7th rounder. The team also tendered long snapper John Denney and FB Kyle Eckel, who were both exclusive rights players.
- LB Joey Porter's agent said that the Dolphins have expressed interest in signing the former Steelers' linebacker. Porter would be a huge upgrade over Donnie Spragan. Spragan showed an inability to effectively rush the QB, whereas Porter has recorded 60 sacks in his 8 seasons in Pittsburgh.
- WR Kelley Washington will have a free agent visit with the team today.
- According to his agent, Miami has expressed some interest in C Cory Withrow. Withrow played under Cam Cameron in San Diego.
- The agent for G Kris Dielman said that his client probably won't end up in Miami. Given the huge contracts already signed by guards (Eric Steinbach - 7 years, $49.5 million; Derrick Dockery - 7 years, $49 million), Miami likely can't afford the price-tag of Dielman.
- Miami has spoken to the agent for OLB Tully Banta-Cain. GM Randy Mueller has already stated that he is looking for a pass-rushing OLB, and he could do worse than TBC. While nothing more than average in run-support, Banta-Cain showed his ability to pressure the QB this year in New England.