Saturday, April 26, 2008

Draft Day 1 Recap

I'm going to hold off on any in-depth analysis of Miami's picks until after the whole draft has been completed. But here's a recap of what has happened so far.

Miami acquired a fourth round pick (115) from the Eagles in exchange for RB Lorenzo Booker. I can't say that I'm real high on this trade. Booker was an electric threat who had a lot of versatility. He was just a third round pick last year, so it seems like Miami is losing a bit of value in this deal. Ireland has said that Booker simply doesn't fit the system, so in that sense at least Miami will recoup some value by selecting someone who does, but overall I think they are still losing value.

Here is how day one shaped up and what picks Miami has left on day two:

=====
DAY ONE (Rounds 1 and 2)

Round 1 (1 overall) T Jake Long, Michigan
Round 2 (32) DE Phillip Merling, Clemson
Round 2 (57, from San Diego) QB Chad Henne, MIchigan

DAY TWO (Rounds 3-7)

Round 3 (64)
Round 4 (115, from Philadelphia)
Round 6 (197, from Dallas)

Round 6 (204, compensatory)
Round 7 (209)
Round 7 (245, compensatory)
=====

I can't say I'm that excited about the Henne selection either. I just think that is too high of a pick to invest in another QB after taking Beck last year. I wanted Miami to take a QB in this draft, but I was hoping they'd wait until a later pick.

No comments: