LB Bobby Iwuchukwu, WR Marcus Vick, and DT Manny Wright were waived today. I can't say that I'm surprised. I hoped Manny would have gotten his act together and turned his potential into results, but a guy can only get so many chances before ties need to be cut. I'm all for giving players a second chance to prove themselves, and Manny got his. The only problem is that he wasted that chance by showing up to the first minicamp significantly overweight. With the addition of DT Paul Soliai in the draft and promising youngsters Fred Evans and Rodrique Wright, there simply wasn't enough room for an underachieving and troubled player like Manny.
As for Vick, he did a commendable job of staying out of trouble while in Miami, but he never showed the speed or route-running ability necessary to succeed at WR. The addition of Ted Ginn as a return man made Vick even more expendable.
As is usual, the team signed a handful of undrafted college free agents. They are:
* G Tala Esera, Hawaii
* G Stephen Parker, Arkansas
* T Julius Wilson, U.A.B.
* LB Edmond Miles, Iowa
* CB Tuff Harris, Montana
* DE Mkristo Bruce, Washington State
* CB Geoffrey Pope, Howard
* WR Gabe Hatchett, Southern Oregon
* WR Michael Malone, Sam Houston State
* T Marion Dukes, Clemson
* DT Marquay Love, Houston
Syracuse CB Terrell Lemon was given a tryout offer for this weekend's minicamp.
* DT Keith Traylor (ankle) and T Anthony Alabi (knee) recently had arthroscopic surgery to clear out debris and will miss this weekend's minicamp.
* During the minicamp, Cam Cameron will move Vernon Carey to LT and L.J. Shelton to RT. Chris Liwienski and Joe Toledo will see time at RG, and I would assume Rex Hadnot will remain at center while Samson Satele and Drew Mormino see time at LG.
I liked the idea of keeping Carey at RT, but with Alabi sidelined, it makes sense to see whether Carey can finally man the left side. If he can, that will clear up a lot of questions.